Monday, April 29, 2013

Weekend of Rediscovery.

The author aboard his trusty, old Honda CB450T Hawk, circa 1985, Willow Springs International Raceway, Rosamond, California.

Not that I have been neglecting my journalistic duties, it was just that I was away for a bit rediscovering my former, two-wheeled roots.  See, before I was super-serious about my fitness, and discovered the wonderful world of road cycling, I was a big-time gearhead.  Truth be told, I never thought I would give up motorcycles until the day I died.  Having a motorcycle a full seven years before I bought my first car, motorcycles were in my blood.

Road cycling changed all of that.  Not that I have turned my back on the combustible part of the two-wheeled realm, something just clicked the moment I clicked into my first set of clipless pedals.  In addition to the fitness component, cycling was different in respects to cost, time, and the biggie, I could start having a ball right outside my front door.  With motorcycling, and in particular, motorcycle racing, I had to travel at great time and expense just to get the fun started.

Nothing beats the sights and sounds of a Honda CB160 race.  Shot location: Turn 4, twenty-eight years after the author dragged a knee through there in the photo atop the article.

Rewind to the tail end of last week, and a trip back to Willow Springs International Raceway was on the agenda, courtesy of an old gearhead friend of mine, to take a gander at the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association (AHRMA), for the annual Corsa Motoclassica.  Three days of vintage motorcycle racing, camping and friends, well, of course I signed on to attend.

Yes, I have been of the bicycle for about a week.  However, after being off of a motorcycle, any motorcycle for over a year, the homecoming was indeed a welcome one.

Yes, there is room for both in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment