Monday, January 21, 2013

Let’s Ban Automobiles. Well, Why Not?



Let me begin this article putting forth I have been roaming this Earth for the better part of forty years, and I have never had a gun pointed at me.  Not once.  Ever!  On the other hand, I have been threatened by a motor vehicle almost everyday of my life, yet I do not hear cries for banning these obviously dangerous devices of mass destruction.  Why is that?

Some people hate guns, I get that.  There are also people whom hate all-things internal combustion, however, they are just not as vocal as the Anti-Second Amendment People (ASAP’s).  It seems there are more people that hate guns then those whom hate cars, we just don’t hear about the latter because there are less of them voicing their unasked for opinions.  It is similar to Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD), in the sense there are also Drunks Against Mad Mothers (DAMM), but since there are less of them as well, we do not hear their opinions, either.

At the heart of the matter is this: Just because you personally hate something does not give you license to ban it.  That is your opinion, and guess what?  Other people have opinions, too.  They just don’t go about their daily lives hitting other people over the head with their opinions.  Therefore, and just for fun, since hats are flying into the ring of Public Opinion from every direction, I figured I would throw mine in, too.  I mean, seriously, why can we not ban motor vehicles?  Check the facts – They are big, loud, dangerous in the hands of the stupid (and unlicensed), they pollute, don’t signal their intentions, they don’t honor our right-of-way, they harass us, run us over, and firmly believe they own the whole darn road.  Hey, what’s not to hate?    

So, while the premise of this article may sound silly, the standards of judgment and opinions put forth on the national stage about violence, especially gun violence, should also apply to all dangerous, deadly things.  See, looking at it this way, the argument I put forth makes perfect sense.  It all comes down the device being utilized, and to me, motor vehicles are a deadly threat everytime I get on my bicycle.  See, motor vehicle drivers could care less about cyclists (and pedestrians, too), and they will run us over and just keep on going.  And looking at accident statistics, they do.

Be careful and vigilant while you are out there on your bike, and remember this quote by Mel Brooks from the movie Blazing Saddles: “You watch your ass!”

No comments:

Post a Comment