Saturday, August 9, 2014

It's Here! Ritchey Superlogic Carbon C260 Stem In Limited Edition Hi-Vis Yellow.


Well, it was just the other day that a very credible rumor floated into the Cycling Dynamics palatial offices that Ritchey was going to do a limited edition, full carbon C260 stem in Hi-Vis Yellow.  This was exciting for a couple of reasons.  First, the Superlogic's are the first, full-carbon stems from Ritchey, and second, this was to be a completely new color they have not done before.  Cool. 

Well, it is a rumor no more, as I actually had the chance to inspect (unfortunately, not try) one of the new, very rare stems over at my sponsor's office, Tweaked Sports, of Glendora, California.  The brothers Brian and Patrick were kind enough to call me up and invite me to come and see one of the first new stems released by Ritchey.

After forcing my way in the door, the first things I noticed upon viewing this beauty (after the striking color, of course), was just how stout, and light, the stem truly is.  I have tried pretty much every Ritchey stem there is, and I really like their offerings a lot, but I have yet to try one of the Superlogic units (after seeing the Hi-Vis version, I hope to recityfy that problem - Hear that, Tweaked Sports!)  It is extrely light, the paint, finish, and carbon weave in the stem body were all first rate.  The thing I did notice which really caught my attention, though, was the seven (7) bolts now required to mount the unit, and they are now Torx heads, not the usual hex heads.

Out of the box, this 90mm version is truly a work of art.

The curves on the slot allow for more even clamping forces, and reduced stress on the steer tube.  There are three Torx head screws to ensure a good fit.

Well, from what I could ascertain, the stem looks to be a damn good offering from the minds at Ritchey.  I hope to get my hands on a test unit soon, and I'll let you know how they work out.  I truly expect this to be the stiffest stems I gave ever tried, and I have tried a lot of them from different manufacturers.

The Specs:

  • C260 bar clamp creates a larger stem-to-bar interface, drastically reducing bolt stress
  • 4 x T-20 faceplate bolts and patented 260 degree bar clamp design reduces weight, increases stiffness and distributes stress more evenly
  • 3 x T-20 steer tube bolts and curved clamp slot reduces weight and steer tube stress
  • Fits most road and mountain bars
  • Material: Carbon with 2014 alloy faceplate
  • Lengths: 90 - 130mm
  • Angle: 84/6 degree
  • Steerer Height: 42mm
  • Faceplate width: 40mm
  • Steerer: 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" (International only)
  • Limited edition yellow finish
  • 125g (110mm)

Retail from Ritchey is $279.95 USD

Tweaked Sports can get 'em to you for $254.95 USD 

No comments:

Post a Comment