Sunday, October 28, 2012

Eureka, I found it! My Solution To Erroneous Heart Rate Monitor Readings Can Also Save Your Ass.



In a previous article (The Garmin “Premium” Heart RateMonitor and Super-False Heart Rate Readings, 08-31-2012), I wrote about super-erroneous readings from my Garmin heart rate monitor.  So, being I am the extremely curious type, I set out in search of a workable solution to the problem.  Well, I have found a workable solution.  And, the answer came from a most unexpected place. 

The answer came from a website article on creative solutions to problems in the medical field.  A nursing blog recommended if you find yourself in a pinch, Aloe Vera gel can be used as a defibrillator conductivity gel.  It just so happens that our heart rate monitors utilize conductivity sensors.  Well, if it is good enough for the medical establishment, it should darn well be good enough for us cyclists, too.

And the really good news – It is!  Instead of using spit or waiting until you have built up enough sweat to register a reading, just put a dab of gel on both sensors after putting on the HR strap.  The numbers being returned on my Edge 500 uploads are now back within believable parameters.  Hallelujah! 

Also, knowing the healing properties of Aloe Vera, I conducted a very-unscientific study of the gels’ feasibility as a chamois cream.  Don’t laugh.  It worked out great.  It has been almost two months since I began using it, and my bottom has never been happier.  Another plus, the gel washes out of the chamois easily with no residue of any kind left on the pad.

There is an old saying that some people cannot “Tell their asses from their elbows.”  This is true, however, there is now clear-cut evidence the heart just may be a lot closer to our butts than we previously thought.

And the best part - The bottle in the photo only cost me .99 cents.  Why spend more, I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment