Tuesday, July 7, 2015

It Has Been Awhile.


Activity on the blog has indeed been slow, as of late, however, it has not been for a lack of will, but rather due to a lack of time.  This, acute, lack of time has, most unfortunately, carried over into my cycling regimen.  A major move, a major home renovation, work, family, and there was just not too much time for riding.

Also, I must confess, I was actually a bit apprehensive for awhile to get on the bike and ride.  I had heard other riders mention this phenomenon to me, and I merely dismissed it as pure hogwash and laziness.  However, I have since found this, specific version of “Cycling Cold Feet” to be very real after having the royal crap scared out of me for the umpteenth time by an unskilled motor vehicle operator.  So, for awhile there, I actually had no desire to get on my bicycle, and that should never be!  Why should I have to fear for my life just for exercising?

One, small, benefit of my time off the bike has been the ability to take in a lot more of the cycling related news and blogs.  And you know what?  From doped up racers, to road diets, to the “We hate Cars, so we hate YOU” crowd, to riders flat-out ignoring the vehicle code, a lot of, and thankfully not all, cyclists are actually a bunch of reckless-fools.  No wonder drivers sneer at us (Secret exposed: Drivers sneer at each others, too), even when we have not done anything to them at all. 

Life out on the road seems to be history repeating itself, as when society thought all motorcyclists were “Hell’s Angels,” or “Hooligan’s” leftover from Hollister, California, circa 1947.  Over time, the actions of a few were heaped upon the masses, and it metastasized.  Well, with cycling, we are at that point, again.  “There’s another one of those Car-Hating, law breaking, Hippies, and they’re dressed like Lance Armstrong, too!”  Well, the fact is, a majority of cyclists are also motor vehicle drivers, and no, we don’t think alike, nor are we all alike, period.  Drivers seem to think all of us cyclists hate them, have no respect them, want them out of their cars, love Road Diets, mass transit, and think God’s gift to cycling were “Coalitions,” the Fixie, flip-flops, and independent coffee houses. 

Most cyclists are out purely for the exercise and freedom cycling provides.  They don’t care what people are driving, have no political axe’s to grind, seek only to stay alive, and would be happy to be left alone, thank you.     

No comments:

Post a Comment